65th Annual Saint John Santa Claus Parade Entry Application
Date: November 18, 2017
Theme: 'A Magical, Musical Christmas'
Applications Due by November 3, 2017
Register online or drop off application form and payment to 17 Canterbury Street, Suite 180
Parade Hotline: 633-9797
2017 Theme: ‘A Magical, Musical Christmas’
2017 Santa Claus Parade Requirements:
This year will be Greater Saint John’s 65th Annual Santa Claus Parade. For the 15th year in a row Uptown Saint John Inc. and the parade organizing committee are energized to present the best parade ever. We have an enthusiastic volunteer judging committee and after the parade, winners will be announced for the following categories:
Best in Parade
Best Commercial Entry
Best School Entry
Best Cheerleaders Entry
Best Band Entry
Best Community Group Entry
(Certificates to winners will be delivered shortly after the parade date)
- All entries must incorporate the parade theme in their music, float design and/or costumes.
- Entries must be entertaining to a family audience, primarily children.
- No Santa Claus replica may be part of any entry other than the Official Santa Claus Parade Float.
- Entry participants in the parade shall not be consuming or giving the impression of consuming alcoholic beverages before or during the parade.
- All entries must submit a brief description of their float for media information and judging.
- Any entry may be refused at the start of the Parade should the entry not meet Parade Requirements or differ from its description on the approved entry form.
- Horn blowing is not permitted as those along the parade route want to hear the Christmas Music and Carole Singing.
- All entries in the parade, including single vehicle entries, MUST have decorations AND lights.
- Parked cars on the Causeway is not permitted unless part of the parade line up.
Walking Groups Guidelines:
- Walking groups should wear costumes that reflect the parade theme.
- Please ensure that you keep your walkers with your group. Smaller children should be encouraged to ride on a float instead of walking.
- All floats must incorporate the parade theme.
- Signage shall be restricted to a total of 2 signs per float, placed one on either side of the float. Each sign must not exceed 2 X 8 feet and be securely attached to the float. The sign should clearly state the name of the group.
- Music is strongly encouraged. Please play Christmas or Seasonal holiday music only.
- Two people must be in the cab of the tow vehicle.
- Drivers are not permitted to talk on cell phones during parade.
- Hand supports for standing people on floats is strongly encouraged.
- It is recommended to have walkers on each side of your float for safety (for the children on the float, and to keep the crowd safely back from float.)
- Floats with generators or other possible fire hazards must provide suitable fire extinguishing equipment on the float.
- Skirting is required around the trailer to hide the wheels.
- No entry will distribute literature, pamphlets, leaflets, brochures, flyers or any other written or printed advertising to the spectators. Absolutely no tossing or handing out of candy.
Horse and Pony Requirements:
- Please outfit animals with bags to catch droppings. There are many participants walking in the parade.
Parade Entry Fees:
- Small business Vehicle Entry Fee (under 20 employees) is $100.00 and must be paid by November 19, 2016.
- Commercial Vehicle Entry Fee is $200.00 and must be paid by November 19, 2016.
- Not-for-profit, community, charities, school or religious organization ~ No Entry Fee.
PLEASE NOTE : THE PARADE GOES ON THE DATE STATED RAIN OR SHINE
Parade entry fees are to be made payable to Uptown Saint John Inc. These fees enable the Parade Committee to promote the event, maintain Santa’s float, recognize the winning float entries and make a donation to the bands to help offset their traveling expenses.
Note: The contact person listed on this form will be notified of a position number prior to the parade. Your float driver must be given this number in order to be correctly positioned in the parade line up on the Causeway between 4:00PM and 5:30PM. The number must be prominently displayed in the front window so the judges and commentators know which floats are coming.
We hope you have a safe and happy evening at this, the 65th Annual Saint John Santa Claus Parade.
Route & Parking
If you are trying to exit via vehicle the best route to use is Crown St. The intersection at Union St. is closed to allow the parade to move from the causeway onto the parade route at 6 p.m. and we strive to re-open the intersection as quickly as possible. Thank you for your co-operation.