A museum and National Historic Site located in Uptown Saint John, Loyalist House was the home of the prosperous Merritt family, who occupied from its completion in 1817 until 1958. It was taken over by the New Brunswick Historical Society in 1961. Its current address is 120 Union Street.
The Loyalist House museum comprises most of the two main floors of the house, with other areas used as office space and storage. It is furnished with multiple examples of high quality Georgian and Victorian furniture, supplied from the collections of the New Brunswick Historical Society, the New Brunswick Museum, and Kings Landing Historical Settlement. It is open during regular business hours from Loyalist Day, on May 18, until the beginning of September, though it opens for cruise ships well into autumn. Guided tours of the house are available at all times, with particular emphasis being placed on the Merritt family and the lives of wealthy Saint Johners during the 19th century.